It supports all popular platforms including Apple Mac and Microsoft Windows.
It is intended to be used a realistic and entertaining flight simulation for flight enthusiasts at all levels. In addition to being used casually, it is also for research, pilot training or any academic aviation situation. Because it’s open source, anyone who possesses the skills may become a contributor to the project.
FlightGear was born because its contributors believe that all the current simulators have unacceptable shortcomings.
Some of the fundamental principles which are the driving motivation for this desktop flight simulator are to be applauded. After all, why try and compete with the existing simulators out there? Yes, they are commercial, and you need to buy them if you want a copy.
The reasons are that FlightGear was born because its contributors believe that all the current simulators have unacceptable shortcomings related to business interests and its philosophical limitations.
Flight Gear is different as it intends to remain free, open and flexible in the way that is it is coded, to allow users to define the simulation to be whatever they wish. The current developers believe that FlightGear will become the number one desktop simulator available.
- You may download the software for free and access the source code in agreement with its terms of the GPL license.
- A complete and accurate scenery database for the entire world.
- The scenery package includes over 20,000 real world airports.
- Airport runways use the correct markings and approach lights.
- Larger airports have taxiways.
- Runways slope realistically.
- Realistic airport lighting which changes intensity depending on viewing direction.
- The terrain is accurately represented globally because of SRTM terrain data released recently for Europe, Asia, Australia, South and North America.
- The scenery includes rivers, railroads, towns, cities, and lakes.
- Night view allows realistic night VFR flying off the way lights are concentrated around urban areas using real world maps. Major highways display headlights from traffic.
- The scenery tiles are loaded and unloaded using a separate thread to minimize a frame rate drop when flying across different areas.
The stars, moon, and planets are correctly positioned for any given time and place. The planets also track across the sky as in real life.
Aircraft Modelling and Dynamics
FlightGear uses three types of flight modeling dynamics which allow a wide variety of aircraft to be modeled in the simulator. These allow for realistic animations, 3D cockpits and real world instrument behavior including gyro drift, realistic lag and magnetic compass which reacts to aircraft movement.
FlightGear has and always will continue to evolve with a mantra of becoming the best flight simulator available, a tall order given the quality of other current flight simulators available. Ie Microsoft Flight Simulator Steam Edition, X-Plane and of course Lockard Martin’s PreparD3.
I’m sure you can’t wait to get to it
As an open source product, it has the potential to realize it’s ambitions because it can not be held back with the same restrictions which apply to commercial flight simulator developers. As it stands right now the simulator is of high quality and offers much; it is free of charge, so there is very little to lose.
I recommend trying FlightGear for yourself, see how you like it, on the off chance that you find that it is not for you, you will have lost nothing except a little time it takes to download, install and trying it.
Now as an avid flight simulator fan, I’m sure you can’t wait to get to it, go the FlightGear website now and download a copy, let your finding be known in our community forum, see you there!
FlightGear. (n.d.). Retrieved April 12, 2016, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlightGear
FlightGear 2016.1. (n.d.). Retrieved April 12, 2016, from http://www.flightgear.org/